As Jesus is the cornerstone upon which the Church is built, so are his teachings the unifying cornerstone of Christian doctrine.

Ashamed to be a Christian

If being a Christian means to condemn instead of pray for political leaders, then I am ashamed. If I must constantly focus on what is wrong with our world, then I am ashamed. If I must constantly criticize and repulse unbelievers instead of love them and be a light, then I am ashamed. If it means that I must be in constant anxiety about what men say may happen if I don't waste money lobbying for one-sided, poorly researched, bigoted religious politics, instead of giving it for the Gospel, then I am ashamed. But, I am not ashamed to be a Christian, because Christ demands that I pray for our leaders, be humble and set my hope on his kingdom not this world. Paul encourages me to focus on whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. Now that is real Christianity and therefore I am not ashamed.

No comments: