As Jesus is the cornerstone upon which the Church is built, so are his teachings the unifying cornerstone of Christian doctrine.

Thinking about Death

When my dear grandma was alive, I remember her talking often about her impending death. It seemed as if she had a morbid fascination with it and that she was often thinking about death. She was a Christian lady and it was her example that first exposed me to a living grace.

Jesus also seemed to think a lot about death. At least we see recorded often that he spoke of his impending crucifixion. Much to the chagrin of anti-semitic types I'm sure, Matthew 20:17-19 is the third record of such a conversation and the first time that he included Gentiles among those responsible for his death. He gave a pretty detailed prophecy of the cross, including being mocked, flogged and rising again the third day.

Do we think about our death? I pray that I have the opportunity that one of the patriarchs of old had, to be on my death bed, with my sons around me, and give them my last blessing. I pray that I can look back and say it is finished. I was so glad to have spent some time with my father before his death. We parted with a good relationship. Perhaps if we thought about the day of our death more often, as Christ seemed to do, we will spend more quality time doing the right things now.

No comments: