As Jesus is the cornerstone upon which the Church is built, so are his teachings the unifying cornerstone of Christian doctrine.

Honor without Suffering

We are all the same. We want the health and wealth and glory and honor of God's kingdom now as well as forever, but we don't want the suffering. Isn't it interesting that in Matthew 20:20-22 the mother of James and John seemed to have completely ignored Jesus prophecies of his suffering in order to ask him if her sons could have positions of honor when he came into his kingdom. I think that we are the same. We focus on the comforts, the blessings, the good stuff and not the suffering.

One time I asked my father-in-law if he was ready to enjoy life now that all the struggling to raise a family was over. He implied that I was naive if I believed that all of life's struggles are over once the nest is empty. Eventually, we all become orphans as our parents die one by one, and then we must pass through the time of one or other spouse dying before the other. Life has its blessings, but there are also struggles for our entire lives even for the most blessed of us.

What was Jesus' answer to James' and John's mother's question? He replied, "...You [plural] do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?..." (Matthew 20:22 NASB) After the two brothers said yes, Jesus then went on to confirm that they would indeed drink the same cup. Next time I drink the cup of wine at communion, I want to ask myself if I too am able to drink of the same cup of suffering that Jesus did. I hope that we are not among those naive Christians who believe there is no suffering for the righteous?

Only in eternity is there honor without suffering.

No comments: