As Jesus is the cornerstone upon which the Church is built, so are his teachings the unifying cornerstone of Christian doctrine.

Betrayed into the Hands of Men

Jesus predicted his death several times during his ministry. In Matthew 17:22-23 he particularly emphasized his betrayal. His own submission to the humanity he loves is highlighted by the contasting words of the Son of Man (anthropou, ανθρωπου) being delivered into the hands of men (anthropon, ανθρωπων). His prediction ended with his resurrection but, his disciples were greatly dismayed.

Betrayal and dismay -- two very normal human experiences. Have you been betrayed -- even in the church? It's to be expected. It's even normal. It will never change. Sorry, about that! There is one thing that we can change. That is, not to be dismayed when betrayed. Like Jesus, our real hope is not this life, this church, that politics, this career, that investment, this country, or even that relationship. Ours is a living hope in this resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

-------------------------

PS. On a personal note, I have been betrayed many times, often, sadly in the church. Although I have the blessing of a faithful spouse and a loving family (Wow! What a blessing that is!), I have been betrayed many times in other areas. I have been stabbed in the back by people in business and understand what a viscious world business can be. In the church, I've had many people try to steal influence over congregations from me so they could get things done their way. I'm so jaded by church politics, that I trust only one man in that regard, a dear friend who once told me that if I ever moved to town, he would step down in a minute and offer me his pastorate. I really believe he would. He pastors a small church in upstate New York.

I have been betrayed by ministry supervisors who when I was suffering through one of the worst trials of my life, couldn't even be bothered showing pastoral care. Finally I have been betrayed by denominational leaders, who did not have the guts to back me up when they found out how I had been wronged. So, if anyone wonders if this little puppy doesn't know betrayal, well, I do. My logical decision has been to forgive them all. My emotional struggle has been to do so even with a heart deeply in pain. My spiritual hope is only in one thing. There is nothing else -- no nation, no politics, no investment, no church, no relationship (even the beautiful family ones) -- nothing that compares to that eternal hope!

No comments: