As Jesus is the cornerstone upon which the Church is built, so are his teachings the unifying cornerstone of Christian doctrine.

Quest for Pure Religion

I looked for pure religion among those who claimed to have apostolic authority, but did not find it. Others told me that I needed to speak in tongues, but I did not find pure religion there. Dozens of others gave me their secret formulas for pure religion. Their suggestions ranged from being methodical to wearing simple clothing, from doing the rosary to attending church several times a week, from joining the choir to being a super Christian who mows the pastor's lawn. Still others told me that God did not even like religion and I was about to give up when I read a small corner of the Bible which said that there was indeed a pure religion. "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." (James 1:27-28)

No comments: