As Jesus is the cornerstone upon which the Church is built, so are his teachings the unifying cornerstone of Christian doctrine.

Free from Man-Made Religion

When others tell me that Christmas is wrong, I will turn on my Christmas lights even brighter. When others tell me that dancing is a sin, I will dance all the more exuberantly. When others tell me that I should wear a suit and tie to church, I will show up in blue jeans. When others tell me that I should avoid alcohol, I will buy a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer and enjoy it for a week. When others tell me to say an Amen to their long and tedious prayers or loud but meaningless preaching, I will be silent. When others tell me to drive a black car, I will buy one that is bright red.

When others tell me to follow them, I will follow Jesus and Jesus alone. When others teach empty-headed fluff and claim that their doctrine is infallible, I will do research in a critical commentary and search the Scriptures like the Bereans. I am free from the religions of men and their silly rules. I will allow nobody to take my freedom in Jesus away. I will enjoy the company of fellow Christians in almost any denomination, but I will not be put in a prison of man-made religion.

No comments: