As Jesus is the cornerstone upon which the Church is built, so are his teachings the unifying cornerstone of Christian doctrine.

The Glass Ceiling

I like to belong, don’t you? It’s good to be part of something important. Churches often expected me to fit their mold in order to belong. It was not an entirely unreasonable expectation. I wanted that feeling of belonging. However, the mold was often a glass ceiling. I sensed that I was being held down. Other churches also had excellent ideas or good understandings on certain aspects of our faith, or a profound liturgy that inspired me.

This sometimes put me at odds with church politics. I was no longer a blind follower, but a perceived threat. Yet my desire to learn never ceased. I wanted to grow up in the Lord, but felt like some churches only wanted blind followers who would only learn what was to be found within their four walls. I grew beyond needing a sense of belonging to this or that church. It was still important but less so. The real belonging that counts is belonging to Christ.

No comments: